Apple iTunes

Apple iTunes

TigerDirect


9.10.2007

 

Apple Stock Jumps As 1 Millionth iPhone is Sold

It's amazing for me to think that in a mere 74 days, Apple has managed to sell one million iPhones! But according to Apple's reports, the hit the mark yesterday September 9th:

"Yesterday, just 74 days after its introduction on June 29, Apple sold the one millionth iPhone. 'One million iPhones in 74 days—it took almost two years to achieve this milestone with iPod,' said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “We can’t wait to get this revolutionary product into the hands of even more customers this holiday season.”


Curious about how this is effecting Apple's current stock value, I popped open my trusty stock widget in Dashboard, and to no surprise, Apple's stock is up almost $3.00 while everybody else is down.

I personally wasn't expecting to see this goal hit until the end of the month, but I don't think anyone can deny that it has a huge part to do with two of Apple's announcements at last Wednesday's "The Beat Goes On" event. The first being the most obvious $200 price drop from $599 to $399 for the 8Gb model, and then the fact that you can now pick up a 4Gb model on clearance for $299! That's a huge difference especially considering that one of the major criticisms of the iPhone has been the price. I can't count how many people I heard say things like, "Who would want to carry around a $600 phone with them?" Well, you can't exactly make that excuse any more, so it would appear that people hit the stores in multitudes. Stocking up for Christmas maybe?

The second influence is just a speculation on my part, but it's something I have wanted for some time, and I know others have wondered about as well, and that's the ability to buy songs while on the go. Some time back when Apple announced that you would be able to sync songs purchased with the same account on two different computers using your iPod, I thought for sure that a Wi-Fi iTunes store was imminent, but only time would be the tell. And that seems to be the case here. I'm not sure when Apple will make this feature available for iPhone owners, but my thoughts are, with over 1 million iPhones out there, it won't be long.

And then, come next February, while I'm in line to get my coffee, I can browse what songs are playing in my local Starbucks, and buy them if I want. Can anybody say, "Brilliant Strategy"?

Digg!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home